Wednesday, March 27, 2013

iPhone Customization...Finally!!

Youuuuu guyyyyyys.  I found the COOLEST pin on Pinterest the other night.  Seriously.  The. Coolest. 

I've been a proud iPhone owner for awhile now, switching over from an Android.  I never held any affiliation toward any specific brand of phone.  If it called, texted and Facebooked, it was good enough for me.  But y'all.  I LOVE my iPhone.  Love it.  But I don't love how I can't really customize it.  On my old phone, I could put whatever in the world I wanted on my home screens...specific pictures, photo albums, different commands (text Marty, call home, etc.)...it was 100% customizable.  I knew that my phone didn't look like a hundred other phones out there.  Then I switched to the iPhone, where everything is pretty much standard on every single phone.  UNTIL TODAY.  Y'all ready for this (cue Jock Jams music)??


To quote my favorite race car (Lighting McQueen)--KACHOW!  Omgeez.  This makes my little creative heart so, so happy.  The original pin that I found was written kind of confusingly and it took me awhile to wade through all the information and what I thought the blogger was trying to say.  So, I'm going to tempt to explain it in a MUCH easier way (I hope....)  Wanna know how to do it?  Good thing I'm a giving person...because I'm gonna share the steps!  Ready??  (WARNING:  ABOUT TO BE A PICTURE OVERLOAD)

First, go to the App store and download the app "Cocoppa."  IT'S FREE.  Yeehaw!



When you have the app downloaded and open to the home screen, it should look like this:

 
 
I'm 99.9% sure that this was originated somewhere in Asia because a lot of the apps are in an Asian language.  But don't let that scare you off.  I'm going to walk you through! 
 
First, let's tackle an easy app like Facebook.  Make sure that your screen is displaying "Icons."  You can check at the top where it reads: "Icons" "Wallpapers" and "Stamps."  "Icons" should be in dark pink if selected.
 

 
 
Next, scroll down all the way to the bottom.  Don't even bother going through the "search" options they offer....I think lots of things got lost in translation and everything except "Search by colors" is SUPER confusing.  I just decided on which app I wanted to search for.  So, let's search for "Facebook" icons.
 
 
 
On the next page, you'll see tons of icons pop up.  Choose your favorite (and that could take scrolling through several pages to decide on one) and click on it.
 

 
 
Once you've clicked on it, it should take you to a new screen.  Click on the banner that says "Set up link."
 

 
 
Next, you'll be setting up the app to go with your new icon.  In this case, when we're using an app that was downloaded from the App Store, so hit "App Search."
 

 
 
Now, Facebook is super popular so it pops right up first thing.  But you can also search for your app in the search bar too.  That takes a little digging.  In this case, click on the Facebook icon.
 

 
 
Next screen, you'll put the name of your app in the box and hit "OK."
 

 
 
Next, you'll want to open the link in Safari to be able to add it to your home screen.  So, hit "Yes" when the box pops up asking you to go to Safari.
 

 
 
After you hit yes, it will take you to a new Safari page.  You'll want to hit the "Share" button at the bottom to be able to add the icon.  It looks like a box with an arrow coming out it it.  Hit it.
 

 
 
Finally, a box will pop up.  Hit the icon that says "Add to Home Screen."


 
Name that little app whatever your heart desires.....
 
 
 
And voila!!  There she is, my friends.  Your pretty, new personalized icon for you to enjoy.
 

 
 
FYI.  You do have to keep your old icon for you to still have the actual app.  So I put all of my old icons together in a folder** (which I aptly named "Unpretties") and put on the last "page" of my home screen so I wouldn't see them.  **You can create a folder by holding one app and putting it over another.  That creates folders which can hold multiple apps at a time.  Example:
 

 
 
Now, this post will be one of several explaining how to make your iPhone prettier by using this app.  Use this post to download new icons for any app you've downloaded from the App Store.  But, be warned:  since Cocoppa is obviously from Asia, a lot of apps aren't available to make "prettier."  So just play around and see which apps they offer and which ones you're stuck with. 
 
In my next post, I'll explain how to make icons for some of the items that came pre-downloaded on your phone like your Music, Photos, Safari, Videos and so on. 
 
Happy customizing.....
 
 
Disclaimer:  I do not own the Cocoppa app.  I am simply doing a review of the app and how it works on my personal phone.  I am not responsible for the app or how it may work on your phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment